Monday 8 September 2008

Open Beta woes

The Warhammer Online European open beta has not been a smooth experience, to say the least. After much reassurance that things would be fine, the account creation and beta key validation systems just could not handle the load, and even now things are not working correctly.

I have mixed feelings about it all. On the one hand, I can appreciate that this is all part of the stress test, and that hopefully there are things being learnt now which will ensure that the actual launch next week will go smooth. On the other hand, I cannot believe the ridiculousness of only putting up the (broken) registration system on the same day as the beta began, claiming that it would of course be fine and then being surprised that is could not cope. I can cope with waiting a few more days to get into the open beta servers (though I am of course feeling very impatient and a bit frustrated with the situation), but I just hope this is not a taster of what to expect in the future. I have heard the horror stories about Europe getting badly treated during the Dark Age of Camelot days, and had hoped that those days were over, but maybe not?

2 comments:

arbitrary said...

One thing is for sure - we're all watching GOA very quickly. I think we're willing to forgive and forget as long as things move along pretty smoothly from now on.

Hope you're in and enjoying!

Hoof said...

Indeed, I am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, and yes I am now in, so hooray!