Monday 13 October 2008

For some reason it seems that Eve has really clicked with me this time round. Could be that I am being more patient, perhaps. Mostly I think I am dealing with the vast amounts of information in a much more manageable way. Rather than thinking there is a right way and a wrong way to go about things, a 'best ship to have', 'best way to make cash' etc, I am just experimenting with different equipment and ships and having a great time doing so. There is something very immersive about Eve, probably due to its extreme depth and freedom. I am also finding it very easy to dip into for a quick hour. 

Currently I have a small, fast ship with a reinforced hull, and a big slow cruiser loaded with drones and rails guns. When I learned how much slower the big ship was, drones and the longer range of the rail gun seemed like and obvious choice, and indeed I now chew through pirate gangs with a frightening swiftness. It can still take a while to approach their wrecks for looting and salvage. I shall look into the concept of tractor beams, I wonder if they work on wrecks? 

I am mostly doing a mixture of missions and salvage at the moment, like I say, still finding my feet. My aim is to save up for a decent ship to go exploring the dangers of lower security space, and when I say decent, I mean expendable. I still haven't even got insurance on my big cruiser, so maybe that should be my immediate short term goal... It seems to me is that there is a huge amount of options for configuring a ship in Eve, but a limited focus for those options. So there is always a trade off; strong ships can be slow and clunky, fast ships can be weak, more cpu or better shields? More cargo space, or stronger hull? That is before you even get into weapon types, ammo types and the seemingly endless amount of electrical systems (tracking disruptor, stasis whatnot, sensor thingamajig) of which I have a massive pile acquired from various pirates. Oh, and of course rigs and implants, which I have not even begun to think about.  

So I am enjoying this learning process, taking my time and gradually stretching my legs. Maybe one day I shall start looking for a corp to join, but at the moment I am enjoying the life a freelance salvager. I feel I would like to get a lot more experience under my belt before I consider anything more than that.

Also played a fair bit of Warhammer Online over the weekend. My rune priest has moved into tier three and bought a mount, which I hate by the way - give us dwarfs some ponies or rams or something, not that noisy awkward machine. I must admit I was suffering a bit of Warhammer malaise. I am loving the game, but the server has felt a bit empty over the weekend, and it really is an MMO that needs there to be people around. I worry that the traffic through the lower tiers will dry up, leaving them empty. We'll see. It certainly feels like I am traveling in one particular direction towards end game, rather than exploring a world, and I do miss that feeling. And I was actually considering but Wrath of the Lich King, which is a crazy prospect. I just need to keep reminding myself: "Think of the thousands of bunny hopping death knights"

No comments: