Monday 6 October 2008

Lay of the Land

I think a special mention should go to the landscape design in Warhammer Online. It seems that the designers were thinking vertically as well as horizontally, and I never feel like I am adventuring across a flat plain. There are many hills, mountains and ridges to climb, as well as clumps of rocks and boulders. Fall damage is very unforgiving, and consequently it really helps to be aware of your surrounds. These features also provide plenty of nooks to hide behind and plan ambushes, or to try to heal up after running away (not that we ever run away, right?) As an engineer, I am finding much enjoyment from choosing a suitable spot to set up my turret, and choosing a place with good height and hopefully a little rock for me to pop behind if I start getting attacked at range. If I can position myself near a big drop, even better, as there is nothing finer than using my knockback on a big burly orc that has clambered up to my sniping spot.

No comments: